I have been blogging for just over three years. What a journey! But in all my posts, I spoke very little, if any, about my mom. My dad has had plenty of mention and he even helped me edit my posts when I first began. So today, I honor my mom.
The Word – Helen
The Worth – If you have been following me this year, you have no doubt noticed that all the posts have described God. Each post has a word that begins with the next letter in the alphabet. With the word I have chosen for today, let me add a few disclaimers:
- I am not saying that my mom, Helen, was God.
- I am not saying that God is a woman.
- I am not supporting a women’s empowerment agenda here.
- I am not saying that women are better than men.
Here is what I am saying by using the word Helen;
- Helen loved me unconditionally.
- Helen showed me the way to heaven.
- Helen prayed for me.
- Helen guided and directed me when I was going astray.
- Helen taught me.
- Helen advised me on the female species.
I could continue. My mother was pretty awesome. God used my mother to help shape me into the man I am today. No, I am not perfect but I could be a whole lot worse!
So if I say that God is Helen, don’t misunderstand me. There were times when I saw God because I was looking into my mom’s face. It might be more appropriate to say that Helen is like God. Yep, that sounds about right.
The Work – Three things to ponder as I try to connect The Worth (ideas and concepts) with The Work (practical application) regarding The Word.
- If you are a mom; God can use you in tremendous ways that you cannot even fathom. Please let Him.
- If you are not a mom; Know that your mother could quite possibly be the greatest influence in your life. I hope and pray that it is for godly things.
- My mom passed away in January of 2011. I love you mom. See you (and dad) in heaven when I get there. Not any time soon though because God is still using me down here.